Software Engineer, Server Development
Turn delivers real-time insights that transform the way leading advertising agencies and enterprises make decisions. Our digital advertising hub enables audience planning, media execution, and real-time analytics from a single login, and provides point-and-click access to more than 150 integrated marketing technology partners. Turn is headquartered in Silicon Valley and provides its products and services worldwide. For more information, visit turn.com or follow @turnplatform.
Turn is expanding its ad serving platform into new territories and new channels, and is looking for talented software engineers to join a growing, dedicated team.
We are seeking a software engineer with a sharp mind and knack for writing well-designed, high performance/scalable, and fault-tolerant server code to handle ~75 billion daily server-to-server requests. The role involves developing and designing features and new interfaces in collaboration with internal Product Management and other development and operational Engineering teams. Prior ad serving experience is not required.
We are growing the team and hiring engineers with various levels of technical experience. Your responsibilities will be based on your experience level and accomplishments. You’ll be part of a highly talented collaborative team working on various technical challenges, ranging from scalability to innovative feature design and development. The senior members on the team will also play a key role in various architectural efforts and potentially lead complex feature design in our server platform, engage with other functional teams and external partners on end-to-end solution design as needed. It is expected that every member on the team will be hands-on with Java, even though the senior members on the team may involve less coding tasks but should expect up to 50% of time performing hands-on design and development activities.
- Design and develop low latency/high throughput multi-threaded server infrastructure components to handle large amount of requests per second
- Build and scale internet-facing ad serving components
- Expand product features into new media channels (mobile, video, social, etc.)
- Implement new server interfaces for use by Turn’s technology partners
- Learn and grow your technical skill sets and industry knowledge from local experts
- 0-3 years programming Java or similar object-oriented language (Entry to Mid Level Engineers)
- 3-5+ years programming Java or similar object-oriented language (Senior Engineers)
- Experience with web servers (e.g. Tomcat) , server-side development, performance tuning, and debugging techniques
- Understanding of HTTP request/response structures and lifecycle
- Experience with multi-threaded programming and thread safety
- Detail oriented, meticulous, well organized, and articulate
- Computer Science degree or equivalent
- Knowledge of common data formats (XML, JSON, Protocol Buffers, etc.)
- Familiarity with video standards (e.g. VAST and VPAID) and online video players
Keywords: Distributed systems, high scalability, HTTP, Tomcat, Load Balancing, Java, Linux
Location: Redwood City
In addition to our great environment, we offer a competitive base salary, bonus program, stock options, employee development programs and other comprehensive benefits. Please send a cover letter along with your resume when applying to the position of interest located at Turn.com. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. No phone calls and no recruiting agencies, please.