Hadoop Administrator - Data Infrastructure
Turn delivers real-time insights that transform the way leading advertising agencies and enterprises make decisions. Our digital advertising hub enables audience planning, media execution, and real-time analytics from a single login, and provides point-and-click access to more than 150 integrated marketing technology partners. Turn is headquartered in Silicon Valley and provides its products and services worldwide. For more information, visit turn.com or follow@turnplatform.
Data Infrastructure team at Turn is responsible for running very large Hadoop clusters, extremely fast changing RDBMS environments and different types of storage environments. This is an agile environment that provides opportunity to solve complex and scaling challenges.
As part of the Data Infrastructure team, you will be integral part of managing 24X7 Hadoop infrastructure. Currently this environment is at tens of petabytes in size. You will be contributing to day-to-day operational activities. You will also get a chance to contribute on performance improvements and optimization of our Hadoop ecosystem components. You’ll get the chance to take on complex and interesting problems as part of a fast-paced, highly-collaborative team. We've built a complex analytics system around our Hadoop ecosystem for scalability and high availability. It's imperative that you approach administration with an emphasis on repeatability, testability, and consistency. The demands on this system are increasing rapidly as we grow the userbase, as data ingestion grows, and as we add more functionality and products.
The successful candidate for this position will be a self-motivated with an attitude of getting things done. Should be able to see big picture and also be able to deep-dive into details to solve complex problems.
- Own and maintain operational best practices for smooth operation of large Hadoop clusters.
- Contribute actively to improve Turn’s Hadoop ecosystem.
- Apply in-depth analysis of Hadoop-based workload, project-based work, design solutions to issues, and evaluate their effectiveness.
- Optimize and tune the Hadoop environment to meet the performance requirements.
- Partner with Hadoop developers in building best practices for Warehouse and Analytics environments.
- Investigate emerging technologies in the Hadoop ecosystem that relate to our needs and implement those technologies
- 0-2+ years plus of hands-on experience in deploying and administering Hadoop clusters.
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Good Linux administration and troubleshooting skills.
- Good understanding of Hadoop design principles and the factors that affect distributed system performance.
- Working knowledge in administering and managing Hadoop clusters running any type of distribution.
- Good scripting experience with at least two of the following: Shell, Python Ruby or Perl.
- Knowledge in metric collection for monitoring and alerting.
- BS/MS degree in computer science or Big Data related field.
- Programming skills in any language.
- Hands on experience with automation tools like Puppet.
- Good knowledge of common ETL packages / libraries and data ingestion.
- Knowledge of open source projects like Git, Nagios, TSDB, Docker and OpenStack.
Location: Redwood City, CA
In addition to our great environment, we offer a competitive base salary, bonus program, stock options, employee development programs and other comprehensive benefits. Please send a cover letter along with your resume when applying to the position of interest located at Turn.com. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. No phone calls and no recruiting agencies, please.